Your “user ID” is the same for RISD email as for WebAdvisor. It is up to 8 characters in length and is assigned using your first initial and the first 7 letters or your last name, or less if your name is short. For example, Thomas Smith has a user name of tsmith. The Main Menu screen of WebAdvisor, on the bottom right, has two help areas called “account information” and “password information.” Once you know your user ID, your password can be reset online.
Access to the grading screens of WebAdvisor will be available before the semester is over. Please log in at that time to make sure you have access rights. When it comes time to do the actual entry of grades online, know the grades you want to record BEFORE logging in because WebAdvisor has a built-in “time out” feature. You must hit “ENTER” or “SUBMIT” within 15 minutes or else you will times out and the grades you entered will be lost.
1) Log in. Choose a term. DO NOT ENTER starting or ending dates.
2) Choose “Final” grading. DO NOT CHOOSE midterm grading.
3) Click the box for the course you wish to grade, then scroll below and click “SUBMIT”.
4) Enter a grade for each student. For grading in the Spring term, enter grades for graduating students first, then, if necessary, go back in a few days to enter grades for students who are not graduating. (HINT: Use the TAB key to mover from one student to the next. DO NOT USE THE ENTER key because the ENTER key works just like the “SUBMIT” button.)
5) If the grade is “I” (incomplete), then you must enter an expiration date which can be no later than the deadline set by the faculty. On the day after the expiration date, the “I” becomes an “F” unless, of course, you have already submitted a grade change. More on the “I” grade, including deadlines, can be found here: http://risdregistrar.wordpress.com/faculty/grading-and-class-rosters/grades-and-grading-policy/ DO NOT ENTER an “Expire Date” for any grade other than “I”.
After You Enter Grades
Students will not be able to see the grades you submit until the Registrar’s Office updates them to student’s transcripts. This update to transcript process is done for the first time each term at the end of the day on the deadline date for submitting grades. Once the update process takes place, students can view the grades you submitted, and you can no longer modify them on WebAdvisor (you must submit a paper Change of Grade Form). However, you can submit grades late. WebAdvisor remains open for late grading after the deadline date, and the update process is performed daily thereafter, until grading for the term is shut down.
Entering Textbook Information for Your Classes
Instructors are responsible for updating WebAdvisor with their required OR recommended textbooks for purchase. The entry onto WebAdvisor is to be made prior to the opening of registration for the term as per the Federal Higher Education Act of 2008. If your class does not have ANY required or recommended textbooks, then all you need to do is to navigate through “maintain books” on WebAdvisor for the course section and get to the button which reads “Textbooks are not required or recommended for this class” at which time just click on the radio button. Complete instructions are in WebAdvisor once you click on the “Maintain Books” choice on the main faculty menu.