Registration at RISD
Registration is available for fall and spring semesters (not Wintersession or Summer)
- Fall registration for students in the MADE program begins when all incoming RISD graduate students register (typically in early-August).
- Spring registration for students in the MADE program begins when all RISD graduate students register (typically in mid-November).
- All RISD course schedules must be finalized by the last day of RISD’s Add/Drop period.
- See the Academic Calendar for specific dates.
Steps for selecting electives at RISD
Online web registration is held using Workday, the self service academic planning tool for students and advisors. Students will receive a designated registration time to begin registration.
To browse classes and register, in Workday navigate to Menu then Academics. Under Registration select Find Course Sections for Registration. Select a class to register for it and choose the Register button. If you do not see the Register button you are ineligible to take the class or seats are not available.
As students are registered, the RISD Registrar will inform the Brown Registrar.
If a student intends to drop a RISD course, they need to do so by RISD’s add/drop deadline (access RISD’s electronic add and drop forms here). You must use your risd.edu email to access the electronic form.
- Make sure you connect with your MADE advisor that the RISD elective is applicable towards your MADE degree
- Make sure you confirm with the Brown Registrar’s office by their deadline whether you want the RISD course recorded at Brown as either P/NC or letter grade.
Students interested in registering for an Independent Study Project at RISD should use the fillable PDF registration application attached here. ISP’s are available with FT or PT faculty. Students are limited to one ISP during their program. See RISD’s ISP policy for further detail.
- Fall: ISP Application due to the RISD faculty mentor by the first day of the Fall semester (and the Registrar’s office must receive the completed form in full with all approvals by the end of RISD’s add/drop period)
- Spring: Application due to the RISD faculty mentor by the Friday before the last day of the Fall semester. See RISD’s academic calendar for specific date.