Registration at RISD
Registration is available for fall and spring semesters (not Wintersession or Summer)
- Fall registration for students in the MADE program begins when all incoming RISD graduate students register (typically in early-August).
- Spring registration for students in the MADE program begins when all RISD graduate students register (typically in mid-November).
- All RISD course schedules must be finalized by the last day of RISD’s Add/Drop period.
- See the Academic Calendar for specific dates.
Steps for selecting electives at RISD
- Review the RISD course catalog
- Filter by term and subject
- Click ‘View Available Sections’ to review schedules, available seats, and location. Click the section title to view details (including instructor contact info).
- Check to see if any courses have a fee. You will be required to pay the fee (via the electronic registration form) before you can be registered into the course.
- Discuss course selection with your MADE faculty advisor
- Reach out to the RISD instructor regarding your interest
- Fill out the ‘MA in Design Engineering (MADE) Course Add Request‘ form (NOTE: You must use your RISD email to log into Etrieve). This form is only available during RISD’s GR student registration period through the end of RISD’s add/drop for the semester.
- As students are registered, the RISD Registrar will inform the Brown Registrar.
- If a student intends to drop a RISD course they need to do so by RISD’s add/drop deadline (email email@example.com).
Step-by-step documentation for how to use the electronic form in Etrieve can be found here.
Step-by-step documentation for instructors can be found here.
Students interested in registering for an Independent Study Project at RISD should use the fillable PDF registration application attached here. ISP’s are available with FT or PT faculty. Students are limited to one ISP during their program. See RISD’s ISP policy for further detail.
- Fall: ISP Application due to the RISD faculty mentor by the first day of the Fall semester (and the Registrar’s office must receive the completed form in full with all approvals by the end of RISD’s add/drop period)
- Spring: Application due to the RISD faculty mentor by the Friday before the last day of the Fall semester. See RISD’s academic calendar for specific date.