A Special Student is not a candidate for a RISD degree, but may register for a specific course to meet individual needs. Special Students must register on or after the first day of classes. Courses are taken for credit. They cannot be audited and a maximum of six credits per semester is allowed. The Special Student Registration Form is available from the Registrar’s Office or by clicking on Special Student Form.
Here is the registration and payment process:
1) Complete the section of the form asking for personal information.
2) Select courses from the Course Announcement book or from the web.
3) Secure instructor approval. The instructor is solely responsible for determining admission.
4) Pay at the Student Accounts Office in 20 Washington Place — first floor.
5) Bring the form to the Registrar’s Office, next door to the Student Accounts Office. Registration and payment must be completed during the add/drop period which runs for eight days from the first day of classes.