**For the 2020-2021 Academic Year, cross-registration is permitted in the Fall 2020 semester only.**
- The cross-registration process will be managed remotely via electronic forms to accommodate both institutions’ requirements for remote attendance.
- Brown students may cross register at RISD *only* if the course is designated as ‘online’ at RISD. Registration is not permitted in ‘hybrid’, ‘in-person’ or Independent study designated courses.
- Any Brown University students interested in taking a RISD course should review Brown University’s instructions and information on cross-registration here.
Important information to note:
- Cross-registration for Brown students to register at RISD begins on the first day of RISD’s semester (9/10/20). RISD’s Add/Drop period runs from September 10 – September 17. Cross-registration will not be available after September 17.
- Brown students are only allowed to request ‘online’ designated courses at RISD (not in-person, hybrid, or independent study courses).
- Students should reach out to instructors first to indicate interest before filling out the cross-registration form.
- As part of the registration process, Brown University students will be required to complete the RISD Community Commitment to Health Pledge, attesting that even though you are requesting to register for an online designated course, should you find yourself on RISD’s campus, that you will follow the health and safety protocols in place at RISD.
- Some RISD courses require course fees that Brown students must pay upfront before registering for the course.
RISD Fall 2020 online designated courses with fees
Fees must be paid to RISD Student Financial Services prior to being registered for the course as part of the registration form. Student Financial Services only accepts debit and credit cards for this payment (payments are made online; payment information will be provided at the time of registration as part of the electronic form).
Brown students who wish to cross-register at RISD should take the following steps:
- Access RISD’s catalog of courses: RISD Course Catalog. The modality of the course is listed, as well as instructor email. Brown students can only take ‘online’ designated courses at RISD. Use the advanced search to search by ‘term’ (Fall 2020), and the ‘course type’ (of online instruction).
- The Brown student indicates interest in the course by contacting the RISD instructor via email or reviewing the Zoom information for the first class meeting, centralized here (link unpublished after Add/Drop).
- The Brown student fills out RISD’s electronic cross-registration form available here (form disabled 9/18/20). NOTE: the electronic add form will not be available until RISD’s first day of classes for the semester (9/10/20) and will close on the last day of the RISD add/drop period (9/17/20). Brown students may authenticate into the form using Google (using @brown.edu email). The Brown students will have to acknowledge RISD’s Committment to Community Health and Safety.
- Once the form is submitted, the form will be routed electronically through the permission process. Once all approvals have been secured, the RISD Registrar’s Office will work with the Brown Registrar’s Office to get the student registered for the course.