Updating my Social Security Number

How can I correct my Social Security Number on record with the college?

All RISD students who incurred qualified tuition and fees during the calendar year are eligible for a 1098-T form. Reporting to the IRS depends primarily on your SSN, so it is very important for you to have the correct information on file with the college.

To have a correct 1098-T generated, students must have a valid Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax ID number (ITIN) on record with the college.

Questions on how the 1098-T form is prepared should be directed to RISD’s Student Financial Services office. Questions regarding your eligibility should be directed to your tax preparer. More information about educational credits can be found at www.irs.gov.

Use Form W-9S (Request for Student’s or Borrower’s Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) to give your correct SSN or ITIN to the Registrar’s Office.  It is the official IRS form used to state your SSN. You need only to complete Part I of this form. Enter your SSN in the space marked “Taxpayer Identification Number.” Bring the completed form and your student ID in person to the Registrar’s Office.