**For the 2020-2021 Academic Year, cross-registration is permitted for the Fall semester only.**
- The cross-registration process will be completed online to accommodate both RISD and Brown University’s requirements for remote attendance.
- For Fall 2020 cross registration at Brown, RISD students may only participate in Brown courses remotely (regardless of whether or not the course is designed as ‘online’ or ‘hybrid’).
- First-year students are not allowed to cross-register as they are already registered in a full schedule at RISD. If there are any concerns, please contact the Experimental and Foundation Studies division directly.
Important information to note:
- Cross-registration at Brown is not available until the first day of Brown classes (September 9, 2020), and must be completed by the end of RISD’s Add/Drop period, September 17, 2020. Forms will no longer be available after this date.
- RISD students must receive prior approval from either the Division of Liberal Arts (for Liberal Arts credit) or their Department Head (for Major, Non-Major, or Graduate Elective credit) in order to cross-register. This will be conducted using an electronic RISD cross-registration pre-approval form. Only Brown courses accepted for RISD credit (pre-approved by the Division of Liberal Arts or the student’s Department Head) will be registered.
- RISD students must obtain permission from the Brown instructor before filling out Brown’s online cross-registration form request.
RISD students who wish to cross-register at Brown should take the following steps:
- RISD student uses Courses@Brown (cab.brown.edu) to find the Brown course they wish to take.
- RISD student completes RISD’s ‘Prior Approval for Brown University Credit‘ electronic form to receive pre-approval from the RISD Division Dean or Department Dean, as appropriate, to secure permission to take the Brown course for RISD credit.
- RISD student contacts the Brown instructor via email for permission to take the Brown course.
- Once permission has been secured on the RISD pre-approval and by the Brown instructor, then (and only then), complete the Brown Cross Registration Request Form here. This form will be available starting on the first day of the Brown term (9/9/20) and will close at the end of RISD’s add/drop period (9/17/20).
- When the form is completed, the Brown Registrar’s Office will confirm the permissions with the RISD Registrar and the Brown instructor. Once they have been confirmed, the Brown Registrar’s office will work with the RISD Registrar’s office to get the student registered for the course. Note: Brown will not process any registration request they receive without indication from the RISD Registrar’s Office that the RISD Prior Approval process has been completed.
- Credits: Brown University courses taken by RISD students will be recorded by RISD as three credit courses. Performance based courses at Brown – (MUSC, TAPS, etc) are only 1/2 credit courses at Brown and will be recorded as 1.5 credits at RISD (ie: voice/instrument lessons and any ensemble groups, etc).
- Language Course Information – Details regarding language courses at Brown
- RISD students are not allowed to cross-register for Med School courses at Brown (BIOL courses at the 3000 level or higher)
Deadlines: As a RISD student, you are governed by RISD academic deadlines for any registration changes.
- Course Drops: If you decide to drop a Brown course, you must submit the RISD Course Drop Form by the end of RISD’s add/drop deadline.
- Course Withdrawals: Although Brown allows their students to drop courses until the last day of classses, this policy does not apply to RISD students. Any RISD students who need to drop a Brown course must notify both Brown and RISD. Courses dropped after RISD’s add/drop deadline will be processed as course withdrawals (with a grade of W). See RISD’s policy on maintaining good academic standing here.
Cross Registration Policy: RISD’s cross-registration policy with Brown University is available here.